Marilena Mihopoulou started studying ceramic sculpting in 1994 at the School of Arts and Sciences as Maro Kerasiotiâs student.
Since then she has delved deeply in ceramic sculpting and the study of its mass and materials. Her worksÂ evolve from large-sized functional pottery into human-oriented forms, fired at 1200 â 1280â°C.
The form of the vertebrae she creates allows her to reproduce human forms that balance upon their vertebrae.
Later, her linear-architectural forms become aware of the harmony, experimenting on the relationship that builds among them, the gravity of their mass, as well as the space that they share. Their vertebrae evolved into a new way of expression, the large ceramic containers with free form and movement around their axes.
She has been an official ceramic art instructor since 2000.
Competitions – Research – Symposia
- Created the art group âClayingâ in 2016
- Panhellenic Exhibition of Ceramic Art in 1998-2000, 2002, and in 2012-2015.
- Participated in the 6th Symposium of Contemporary Ceramic Art of Mediterranean Countries in 2008, in Malaki, Volos.
- 8th Exhibition of International Ceramic Art in Volos in 2008.
- Temporary exhibition of ceramic art by the Association of Crete in Greece and Cyprus in 2006.
- Participated in research carried out by the Lens course of the Department of Sciences and Astronomy of the University of Athens regarding the first ancient mirror, carrying out the crafting process of the Neolithic âpan-shapedâ ceramics. Â Publication in âARCHAEOMETRY SCIENCE AND UNIVERSITY OF OXFORDâ, vol. 2008.
- Participated in the ceramic art exhibition in FAENZA, Italy in 2003.
- Participated in âCERAMIC BIENNALE EXHIBITIONâ in Cairo, Egypt in 2002.
- Has been teaching ceramic art to adults since 2000.
- Established âCLAY FORMâ, her School of Free Studies in 2002.
- Her School ran in Melissia at the DIORAMA art gallery from 2003 to 2005.
- Taught the course âSculpting Molds out of Clay” at the Hellenic-American College of Psychiko in 2005-2006, as part of the Adult Education Program.
- Collaborated with Menandros Papadopoulos from 2012 to 2015, co-teaching the new workshops in Keramikos, a central region in Athens.
- Organized the exhibition âContemporary Ceramicâ in May 2012 for the Panhellenic Association of Ceramists and Potters (PEKA), the Municipality of Amaroussion, and the Youth Association of Sports and Culture of the Municipality of Athens (OPANDA) (30 May â 21 June 2012).
- Acted as Vice President of the Panhellenic Association of Ceramists and Potters from 2011-2015; organized and supervised the â50th â 51st â 52nd Panhellenic Exhibition of Ceramic Artâ.
- Since 2015, her School has been running in Keramikos, collaborating with Altin Patselis and other artists.
Exhibitions – Participations
- Individual exhibition at âDIORAMAâ art gallery, in 2002, 2003, and 2004
- âStories of Clayâ at âMelanythrosâ art space, 2016
- âContemporary Ceramicsâ, 2012, Municipality of Athens Art Center
- Group exhibition at âANEMOSâ art gallery, 1998-2003
- Group exhibitions at âHoHaâ art gallery, âThe Lemonâ 1998, âSpots, Stripes and Diamondsâ, 1999
- Group exhibition at âMINIMAâ art gallery (Mykonos), 2001, 2005
- Group exhibition at âSKOUFAâ art gallery, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2012